- 1 What is Genesis2?
- 2 Download and Install Genesis2
- 3 Creating Chip Generators Using Genesis2
- 4 Be Part of the Genesis2 User Community!
What is Genesis2?
Genesis2 is a chip generator originally developed at Stanford University.
What is a chip generator?
- In a nutshell...
- The Chip Generator (CG) is a design system for automatically producing custom application-specific integrated circuits (ASICs).
- Tell me more...
- Because of technology scaling, power dissipation is today’s major performance limiter. Moreover, the traditional way to achieve power efficiency, application-specific designs, is prohibitively expensive. These power and cost issues necessitate rethinking digital design. To reduce design costs, we need to stop building chip instances, and start making chip generators instead. Domain-specific chip generators are templates that codify designer knowledge and design trade-offs to create different application-optimized chips.
- I really want to understand...
- Please read "Rethinking Digital Design: Why Design Must Change," O. Shacham, O. Azizi, M. Wachs, W. Qadeer, Z. Asgar, K. Kelley, J.P. Stevenson, A. Solomatnikov, A. Firoozshahian, B.C. Lee, S. Richardson, M. Horowitz IEEE Micro, Nov/Dec 2010. (IEEE Explore)
Download and Install Genesis2
To install in e.g. /home/mydir/Genesis2:
set destdir = /home/mydir/Genesis2 git clone https://github.com/StanfordVLSI/Genesis2.git $destdir setenv GENESIS_HOME $destdir/Genesis2Tools set path=(. $GENESIS_HOME/bin $GENESIS_HOME/gui/bin $path) setenv PERL5LIB $GENESIS_HOME/PerlLibs/ExtrasForOldPerlDistributions
If you get an error like this when you try to run Genesis:
Compress::Raw::Zlib object version 2.060 does not match bootstrap parameter...
You might need to do this:
/bin/rm -rf $destdir/Genesis2Tools/PerlLibs/ExtrasForOldPerlDistributions/Compress
Also see Genesis2 installation instructions
Download the tar ball, then follow the installation instructions.
Creating Chip Generators Using Genesis2
Use Genesis2 to create your own chip generator (see below).
Use the Genesis2 GUI to generate chips (see below).
- Genesis2 User Guide
- Genesis2 Small Design Examples
- Genesis2 Frequently Asked Questions
- Related Publications
- Genesis2 To Do List
The Genesis2 GUI
The GUI is a convenient graphical user interface with which to generate chips from Genesis2-based chip generators. It comes free with the Genesis2 distribution.
- Interactive Genesis2 GUI (Documentation)
- Interactive Genesis2 GUI (Try it!)
- Complete list of GUI-related links.
Interfacing with Genesis2
Be Part of the Genesis2 User Community!
Accessing the Genesis2 Wiki
- Login|Create User Account -- You can modify the wiki if you have an account, otherwise it is read only. If you are new to this wiki and want or need an account, email one of the following Wiki administrators and ask for one:
About This Mediawiki Installation
Consult the User's Guide for information on using the wiki software.